Drinking beer in a can may not be the most desired way to consume an ice cold beer but when the options call for this, what are you best alternatives. Before we get into the best options, the patented Guinness widget, the devise that releases CO2, patent no. 4,832,968, the U.S. patent for the Guinness in a can stout, is better than everything else except a draft in Ireland of a draft anywhere else (if poured correctly). The Irish have perfected the art of beer in a can and simulate the draft beer result better than anything else on the market. Well, there are others besides the Irish or they are just licensing the technology from Guinness (e.g. Boddington’s in a can).
With this out of the way, enjoying a beer in a can means that there are types of beer that are best in a can versus the bottle. Top 10 list of great beers in a can:
- Guinness and any Irish or English beer with the Guinness widget…like Boddingtons. With this being said, all other beers are a far cry from this but I need to make my list.
- Tecate, when done the traditional way with lime juice squeezed on top of the can and salt poured on top of the can is darn good. I am not a fruit in beer fan but this is a must try. If you need instructions…here you go.
- Schlitz in a can is not bad. There was a bar in North Scottsdale that served Schlitz in a can for $2. They are out of business and I am sure it was not because they sold too many of these puppies. Side note: if you are in Chicago looking for a great Chicago thin-crust pizza joint with great beer on tap, including Schlitz on draft with vintage steins, Check out Bricks.
- The Heineken mini keg can is always good and now we are talking larger size too. The bottle choice is still darn good too but I like the design of the Heineken keg.
- Pabst Blue Ribbon is becoming a cult favorite and the can option is considered better than the bottle. Also in high demand is Pabst memorabilia. I will find a link and provide it in a future post.
- See prior post for Oranjeboom beer. This is a quality beer in the 16 ounce version.
- Budweiser I like better in a can better than the bottle. Maybe because it has less carbonation drinking from the can than the bottle.
- LaBatts Blue and Light which is good in a bottle but I think the can maybe better.
- Molson Canadian – always a good choice, especially if you are in Canada and can get the candian stregth version.
- Heineken Light in the Red Bull style can.
Miller did not make the top 10 but gets a mention for those that despise Bud and I am not in that camp so Miller, feel privileged you are mentioned in this blog post.
So what are the worst options for drinking beer in a can other any warm beer in a can?